Also found that the iLO vib is a problem in that image (causes purple Screen of Death) – make sure you download the latest iLO vib and install it after upgrade.
Link to iLO vib: hpe.com
Attempted again with the new custom image, SAME ERROR! But at this point, I knew that I could download any of the vibs after upgrading, so I removed them from the server using these steps:
- Identify the vib short name by reviewing the error message. The text where the hyphens start is the vib short name (example in bold). ‘qlogic_bootbank_scsi-qla2xxx-918.104.22.168-10EM.500.0.0.472560′
- Console into the ESXi server
- Run command esxcli software vib remove -n <vibShortName>
- Repeat for each offending vib
- Attempt upgrade again (this time it should work)
- After upgrade, verify that your hardware is working, all NICs are good, etc.
- Make sure to install the iLO vib by copying it to the server’s /tmp/ directory (recommend using WinSCP for this), then run command esxcli software vib install -v /tmp/ilo_vibname.vib
- Reboot the server to finish activating the iLO vib.
Hope this works for you as well as it worked for me. Good luck folks!